When preparing for school, students and parents embark on the inevitable search for the best school supplies. During long study sessions, it can be a pain to find that your highlighter has run out of ink, is smudging, or is producing unattractive, dull colors. Whether you are a student getting ready for grade school, high school, college, grad school, or law school, this list will help you find the best highlighter pens or markers for your situation. Check out this collection of the Top 10 Best Highlighters for School in 2020, complete with reviews:
Bonus Pick: Sharpie Accent Tank Highlighters
Looking for traditional, proven highlighters? The yellow Sharpie Accent Tank Highlighters are the classic, go-to favorite highlighter of many students, young and old. The ink shows up nicely on the page and is helpful for highlighting the important parts of any text. The large supply of ink in each highlighter ensures they will last longer than many other highlighters. The chisel tip allows you to create lines of wide and thin widths and the Smear Guard Ink Technology reduces smudging when highlighting over other inks.
Sharpie Accent Tank Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Long lasting and durable
- Smear Guard Ink Technology reduces smudging
- Not as fluorescent and bright as other highlighters
- Sometimes bleed through to the other side of the page
10. Sharpie Pocket Highlighters
If you’re searching for highlighters that are versatile and easy to use, Sharpie Pocket Highlighters are the right choice. Featuring flourescent colors that include pink, yellow, orange, lavender, green and blue, this highligher pack provides multiple hues so you can use different colors to highlight different topics, providing an additional cue for remembering your studied material. Worried about your highlighter smearing your notes in your notebook? Don’t fret. The Sharpie Pocket Highlighers include Smear Guard ink, which helps to prevent smearing when highlighting over most pen and marker inks. A narrow chisel tip makes for precise highlighting or underlining of written text and also allows for writing notes when needed. The slim shape make them easy to handle and easy to fit into backpack pockets or pencil cases.
Sharpie Pocket Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Narrow chisel tip for precise highlighting
- Smear Guard ink helps prevent smearing
- Caps can sometimes fall off which drys out the ink
- Colors are a bit duller and darker than other highlighters
9. Accu-Gel Bible Highlighters from G.T. Luscombe Company
Tired of highlighters that bleed through? The Accu-Gel Bible Highlighters from the G.T. Luscombe Company are an excellent solution. The consensus is that they are more waxy and more like a crayon than other highlighters, but this design helps them to be less likely to bleed through to the other side of the page when highlighting. They come in pink, orange, green, blue, yellow, and violet. They smoothly glide across the page and don’t smear when highlighting over other inks.
Accu-Gel Bible Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Won’t bleed through as much as other highlighters do
- Not as accurate and precise as other highlighters
- Sometimes leave waxy residue clumps on the page
- May make highlighted pages stick to each other
8. Sharpie Retractable Highlighters
Don’t want to deal with a bunch of highlighter caps that are easily lost, resulting in dried out, unusable highlighters? The Sharpie Retractable Highlighters are your answer. The capless, push button “click-and-mark” design makes them some of the easiest highlighters to use and help them to last longer than other highlighters that dry out after caps go missing. They come with pocket clips, allowing you to carry them with you when you need to be on the go. The Smear Guard ink reduces smudging and the chisel tip allows for creating lines in wide and small widths.
Sharpie Retractable Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Capless, retractable design means you don’t have to worry about keeping track of caps
- Smear Guard ink reduces smudging
- Some hues are darker and less vibrant than other highlighter brands
7. BIC Brite Liner Grip Tank Highlighters
Is maximum highlighter control and comfort important to you? The BIC Brite Liner Grip Tank Highlighters are an excellent option for you. The textured, rubber grip on these highlighters make them ideal for stable, comfortable control when highlighting any paper. The 24-pack provides an assortment of colors, including 14 yellow, 3 pink, 3 orange, two green, and 2 blue. The chisel tip provides multiple line widths for highlighting larger or smaller text or underlining. These non-toxic highlighters resist drying out, even when the cap is left off for up to eight hours.
BIC Brite Liner Grip Tank Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Textured, rubber grip for comfort and control
- Resist drying out, even with cap off for 8 hours
- Customers have reported that the box has been crumbled in shipping
6. BIC Brite Liner Flex Tip Highlighters
Getting the right line width when highlighting unusual text sizes can be frustrating. Now there is a highlighter that adapts to almost any text size. The BIC Brite Liner Flex Tip Highlighters feature new flex tip technology which allows you to attain your desired stroke by adjusting the angle and pressure of your highlighting. These highlighters provide a soft, comfortable grip and resist drying out, even when the cap is left off for up to eight hours.
BIC Brite Liner Flex Tip Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Flex tip is adaptable to almost any text size
- Comfortable grip
- Resist drying out
- A bit pricier than other highlighters
5. Staedtler Textsurfer Classic 364 Highlighters
Looking for long-lasting highlighters? The Staedtler Textsurfer Classic Highlighters are designed with a large ink reservoir, so they last even with heavy usage. They are InkJet safe which means they won’t smear when highlighting over printed materials or handwritten notes. The caps are twist-off, making them easy to open and the soft chisel tip comes in 1mm-5mm line widths so they are ideal for highlighting most text sizes in one motion. They even feature an automatic pressure equalization system so you can highlight on airplanes without worrying about ink leaks.
Staedtler Textsurfer Classic Highlighter Pros & Cons
- InkJet Safe to prevent smudging
- Automatic Pressure Equalization to prevent leaks when highlighting on airplanes
- Large ink reservoir makes them long lasting
- The “red” ink tends to look more orange
4. Zebra MILDLINER Highlighters
Are you tired of the bright neon colors of traditional highlighters that can sometimes be a bit overwhelming? These Zebra MILDLINER highlighters come in much more muted colors, making them a bit easier on the eyes during long study sessions. Choose from a unique assortment of colors! The pink pack has pink, orange, yellow, blue-green, and blue. The yellow pack contains smoke blue, magenta, gold vermilion, and brown. The blue pack includes green, dark blue, grey, violet, and red.
Zebra MILDLINER Highlighter Pros & Cons
- More muted colors for people tired of bright, neon colors
- Chisel tips with line widths of 0.8mm-1.1mm
- They tend to bleed through on regular, notebook paper
3. Staples Hype! Pen-Style Highlighters
These are some of the best highlighters for the price. The Staples Hype! Pen-Style Highlighters feature a rubberized grip and slim-barrel, ergonomic design, making them comfortable to use when highlighting for long periods of time. The ink is quick-drying and comes in an assortment of bold, fluorescent colors that easily match the vibrancy of more expensive highlighters. The chisel tip design allows for perfectly highlighting both wide and narrow lines of text. The caps snaps easily on and off and include pocket clips so that you attach them to a shirt pocket or edge of a notepad when you’re on the go.
Staples Hype! Pen-Style Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Bright and bold fluorescent colors
- Rubberized grip and slim design for comfort and stability
- Quick-drying ink
- Unlike retractable highlighters, caps can be lost causing them to dry out
2. Stabilo BOSS Original Highlighters
An assortment of bright and beautiful colors! The Stabilo BOSS Original Highlighters is Europe’s best-selling highlighter and for good reason: they have a classic, comfortable design, come in a variety of colors, and the hues are bright and bold. Thanks to the unique Stabilo Anti-Dry-Out technology, these highlighters can be left with their caps off without drying out. The highlighters feature two line-widths – 2mm and 5mm – making them excellent for highlighting texts of varying sizes or writing lines of varying widths. The highlighter ink is refillable and water-based, making them safe and long-lasting. The set includes 8 fluorescent color shades, including yellow, blue, green, red, turquoise, orange, pink, and lilac.
Stabilo BOSS Original Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Bright and beautiful colors
- Refillable and water-based inks
- Unique, Anti-Dry-Out technology
- Sometimes bleed through to the other side of the paper
1. Faber Castell Textliner Highlighters
Bright and bold! The Faber Castell Textliners provide some of the brightest colors you will find in a highlighter brand. They come in six beautiful colors: red, pink, yellow, green, blue and orange. When comparing with other brands, the Faber Textliner Highlighters are often selected as the brightest and most beautiful highlighter colors. These highlighters are environmentally-friendly, featuring water-based inks. The specialized polyester tips mark in 3 different line widths: 1mm, 2mm, and 5mm.
Faber Castell Textliner Highlighter Pros & Cons
- Bright and bold colors
- Environmentally-friendly water-based inks
- Specialized polyester tips mark in 3 line widths: 1mm, 2mm, and 5mm
- Thicker grips can sometimes make them difficult to store easily in pockets and cases